Huntingfield St. Mary the Virgin Church
The Angel Roof
It is believed that a building has stood on this site since the 10th Century. At the beginning of the 20th Century, the remains of a c.10th Century Saxon stone coffin and standing cross were unearthed and can be seen embedded in the wall of the church. The existing church was built after the Norman Conquest and over a period of time, various building additions have been added to the original building.
The outstanding feature of St Mary the Virgin Church is the the Angel Roof. The ceiling shown above was painted by Mildred Holland wife of William Holland – Rector from 1848 – 1892. It really is a “must” to visit the church to see it.
The church tower was constructed in the 15th Century and in 1553, 3 bells were added to the tower In 1722 the bells were recast and a further 2 bells were added and the same number hang today
There is an excellent publication collated by Felicity Griffin, and illustrated by David Gentleman available by donation, in the Church. This gives a good chronological history of the church, the village and the inhabitants of the parish.